When weBoost customers call with a question about installing a signal booster, they will often hear us use the term “soft install.”
A soft install is a test installation of a signal booster done BEFORE the booster is permanently installed. It allows you to experiment different scenarios to determine your optimal system setup.
weBoost recommends you do a soft install before doing a hard (permanent) install for a several reasons:
1 ) It will allow you to decide where to place your donor (outside) and device (inside) antennas.
- You can find the antenna location that provides the best signal and optimal coverage from your carrier.
- You can experiment with various combinations of horizontal and vertical separation between the two antennas to find a reduced Minimum Required Separation Distance.
- You may during the soft install discover you have a "overload' situation. This occurs when signal from a nearby tower (maybe not even your carrier's tower) is too strong and causes the booster to reduce power or shut down.
2) You can determine the best way to route the cable inside your home.
During the soft install most customers will run the cable though a door or window so they can connect the antennas and experiment with the system. Once they know where they want the antennas, they will have a good idea of how they need to run the cable.
3) Your soft install testing may determine the system you purchased won't work for your situation.
We offer a 30 day money-back-guarantee on our products (when purchased directly from us) so our customers can try their setup out. Doing a soft installation will simplify the process if you needed to return your product in the event that what you purchased was not ideal for your situation.
Doing a soft install allows you to optimize your system and correct any problem conditions.